Saturday 18 June 2011

Windows Cryptography with Metasploit and SmartFTP Password Recovery

I have submitted two new additions to Metasploit tonight. The first is a series of function definitions for Railgun. These functions are some of the core Windows CryptoAPI functions. It is not a complete list yet. I only added the ones i needed to complete the other piece I'll tell you about in a minute. I will be working voer the next week to get all of the other CAPI functions defined within Metasploit Railgun. In addition to that, I will try to write a library that will server as an abstraction layer for these function calls. This library will wrap the Windows CAPI Functions as well as serve up alot of the same constants provided by the WinCrypt.h header file. I hope that this will make it easier for other module writers to make use of the windows CryptoAPI whenever they may need it in a Post Module.

The second bit of business is what actually spawned this work. I have submitted a module for Extracting/Recovering saved Passwords from the SmartFTP Client. Like the other modules I have submitted, it finds the passwords saved by users, decrypts them and reports them back to the backend database as well as to the display screen.

I want to take a moment to especially thank jduck and chao-mu who helped me talk through some things while I was working on this. As always the support of the community in the #metasploit IRC channel is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment